When you are thinking of having children one day or are pregnant and pondering what is to come, you often imagine those magical moments that likely await you: the first time your child says ''mummy'' (or ''daddy'' of course), their first steps etc etc. Whilst those moments were without a doubt indescribably beautiful, what often sticks with me are the little things that my boy does here and there that I never dreamt up during all those contemplative times. Here are some of the little things that warm my heart and make me giggle...
- Milo bending over so I can clean his bum - I know this sounds a tad odd but this seriously sets me off every time. I think it's a habit Milo's picked up from nursery toilet training but when he's done a No. 2, he'll full on bend over, head to floor practically so that I can properly clean his bottom. It's so cute!
- Kissing his best friend goodbye - I know this probably won't last much longer so I really must take a strong mental image of it whilst I can but I adore how many of the children at Milo's nursery say goodbye to each other. Milo and his best mate Arthur will almost always give each other a long hug and a kiss on the lips to say goodbye and I find this unembarrassed display of affection so cute. Of course some day in the not too distant future they would not dare to say goodbye in such a fashion but for now, it's just pure and I love it.
- The giggles - Still to this day, almost 4 years in, when Milo lets out one of those full-on belly laughs, one during which he's laughing so hard he may actually pee himself (he did once!) it actually brings tears to my eyes. I love it when it happens and often it's when you least expect it. So beautiful.
- Singing - At the end of Milo's bedtime routine I always sing him a song. The choice of number goes through its various stages but for a long time now it's usually either 'Puff the Magic Dragon' or the 'Thomas and Friends' theme tune. Sometimes Milo will muck around whilst I'm singing, he'll make his teddies dance or crash or whatever but sometimes he will sing along with me and I love it. He sings completely off key and often only the second half of each sentence and it's so funny.
- Milo's need to run down every ramp he see's - he just can't help himself. He sees a ramp and he must run down it. It's like some bizaar urge that he simply can't fight and it's kind of cute.
- Holding hands - this is something I find incredibly precious and I am making the most of it. I am truly lucky that my boy is still very much a hand holder whilst a number of his friends of a similar age have little interest in it, his best mate included. Like many of these 'little things', there is a good chance this one may not last too much longer so I rejoice it every chance I get. I love to walk hand-in-hand with Milo and I will miss it when it's gone.
- Milo's bottom - I'm obsessed with it! Of course there are times when I steer well clear of this area, it can be a danger zone at times, but in general I absolutely love Milo's little bottom. It's so little and peachy and I squeeze it every chance I get. Gorgeous!
What are the little things that your child does that make you swoon? or what are you looking forward to experiencing for the first time?
Workingberlinmum can also be found on...