Newborns are funny little creatures. They sleep, they feed, they spit up on your top, your sofa and your hair and of course they are oh-so-very cute! There are loads of books out there detailing all sorts of weird and wonderful facts about these precious little beings but there seems to be a few things they miss out! Here are 5 things that surprised me about newborns first time around and I've been reminded of since having Alfie...
- In their first week or so, newborn's don't yet have full control of their eyes so don't be surprised if your baby looks at you cross-eyed. It won't stay that way for long.
- Newborn's will try and suck pretty much any bare skin near them when hungry. Milo tried to feed from his dad as a newborn and Alfie attempted to suck my midwife's face last week!
- Little babies can make some rather odd noises. Alfie sporadically squeeks in a way that makes me think of a guinea pig!
- Babies fart...alot...and surprisingly loudly for their small stature. When Milo was 8 weeks old he started farting loudly in a very quiet doctor's waiting room and the woman sitting two chairs down from me kept giving me very funny looks!
- Not solely applicable to newborns, beware a baby's bare bottom. Yes, of course we all know babies poo but more importantly, babies can projectile poo! I'm not kidding. It can be very funny when it hasn't gone in your direction, not so funny when it has!
Workingberlinmum can also be found on...